I think everyone can agree listening is a skill worth developing, and can be the difference between people who achieve and people who live average or less than average lives. Isn’t it sad that students today can graduate from high school and college without having been taught success principles? It’s a shame that 99 out of 100 people learn no goal-setting principles and drift through life and never realize their potential.
Talent, by itself, is not the key because we know the world is filled with talented people who never reach their potential. We also know that a lot of average people achieve greatness. Ultimately, your success will be determined by your attitude and the action you take over a long period of time.
Agents with National Agents Alliance know the importance of listening because it is one of Andy Albright’s 8 Steps to Success, and they learn that listening is crucial to an agent’s success.
To improve your listening skills learn and follow these five tenets that Andy stresses:
- Never interrupt. Show respect to the speaker by letting them express their thoughts and ideas.
- Sit down and be still. Giving your full attention to the speaker lets him know you are really paying attention and care about what he has to say.
- Maintain eye contact. In one-on-one, conversations making eye contact shows respect for the speaker and will help keep you focused on what is being said. In a meeting or conference, where eye contact is more difficult, taking notes will show the speaker you are listening.
- Acknowledge what is being said. Nod your head occasionally to show your engagement, or say, “Yes,” or “I understand.”
- Ask Open-ended questions. Asking questions that cannot be answered with a “Yes” or “No” improves the quality of the conversation.
Challenge yourself to improve your listening skills. The top producers at National Agents Alliance have mastered listening skills and will tell you they now serve their clients better because they actually know what is important to the client. The relationships built through this skill leads to more sales, more referrals and more repeat business. It is a simple skill that you must master.