Have you been stuck in a rut? Do you have all these great plans for what you would like to do, but don’t know how to go about it, which has left you in between a rock and a hard place? The ties to your current situation can make you feel like you’re stuck where you’re at, and make it seem impossible to reach the next level.
While many people want to place blame of their current situation on others, the ugly truth is that your life is your own responsibility. It’s up to you to break out of that rut and break free from the comfort zone of your current situation – Here at National Agents Alliance, we’ve seen so many individuals do this that we know you can too!
If you want to break from the mundane, author and leadership coach John C. Maxwell has some tips that can help you climb out of your rut:
- Accept responsibility for your own life: It’s easier to blames others or outside factors for your current situation, but at the end of the day you are only responsible for yourself. Yes, things do happen to good people, but it is your choice on how you handle and rise above them.
“Take time to examine your life and how you’re spending it. Where can you take responsibility to make changes—even if your past choices haven’t led to your present predicaments? Getting out of a rut begins with the acknowledgement you must make the choices to do so,” Maxwell suggests.
- Know where you want to be: Knowing where you want to go is the first step. You need to have a specific vision of where you would like to be, not just something broad like, “being successful.”
“You’re going to spend your life doing something. It might as well be what you really want to do. Have you given yourself a target? Have you written out your goals and described your dreams? If not, you need to,” Maxwell suggests.
- Divide your dream into manageable parts: As Andy Albright says, “Inch by inch, anything is a cinch.” The same concept applies here.
“One thing that often paralyzes people is having a dream or even a big goal with no realistic way of achieving it. How do you solve that? By breaking it down into bite-sized pieces that you accomplish with focused effort,” Maxwell says.
- Take action today: Nothing great is ever accomplished by sitting idly. Get up, and make some moves toward your goal and the position you want to be in.
“What kind of action can you take today that will start moving you out of your rut and take you one small step closer to your dream? It doesn’t have to be a big step. It doesn’t even necessarily have to be a significant step. It just needs to be a step in the right direction,” Maxwell explains.
- Grow into your tomorrow: With each step you take, they need to get bigger and more strategic each time.
“My one final piece of advice is to tell you to get help. Too often we are so embarrassed about where we are that we become afraid of admitting to someone else that we’re stuck. That shouldn’t be. There’s no shame in getting stuck—only in staying that way when you have a choice to change,” Maxwell urges.